General Information


CROYDON is a London borough in the south of London and is the largest populated borough. The 24 wards of Croydon are very different from each other and have something to do in all of them with most of them being linked by the tram but all being linked by bus routes.

Addiscombe - Ashburton - Bensham Manor - Broad Green - Coulsdon East - Coulsdon West - Croham - Fairfield - Fieldway - Heathfield - Kenley - New Addington - Norbury - Purley - Sanderstead - Selhurst - Selsdon & Ballards - Shirley - South Norwood - Thornton Heath - Upper Norwood - Waddon - West Thornton - Woodside


Croydon is the same as London and is on GMT (Greenwich mean time).

Local Laws

If you're headed out for a night on the town, you should know that the drinking age in London—and throughout England—is 18, and smoking is banned in public places throughout, including bars, restaurants and taxis, also on the underground , trains and trams. Those who are 18 or older can purchase cigarettes and tobacco. Also you MUST NOT use a hand-held mobile phone when driving, except to call 999 when it is unsafe or impractical to stop.


Croydon is one of the safest boroughs of London, but visitors should still use common sense to protect themselves and their property. Please be aware of your surroundings! Your hotel concierge or reception should be able to answer questions on this topic, and will be helpful if you need more information about neighborhoods. For more information about safety, read our tips for visitors.


Throughout London and the United Kingdom the Great British Pound is the standard currency although some places do accept the Euro or US Dollar.

Useful Phone Numbers

  • Ambulance: 999 or 112 (EMERGENCY ONLY)
  • Fire: 999 or 112 (EMERGENCY ONLY)
  • Police: 999 or 112 (EMERGENCY ONLY)
  • Gas emergency: 0800 111 999
  • NHS Direct (24 hour health helpline): 0845 4647
  • Police: 101
  • Health: 111
  • Power Cuts: 105

Which number should I be using? - Yes everybody will view what has happened to them as an emergency but if we all think a little the system can work for us better.
Police, if an immediate response is not necessary and/or will not be serve any purpose, then call 101. Your call will get logged and the Police will use this information to track where the crimnals are now, not where they have been. Examples - your car has been stolen, your property has been damaged, your home has been broken into, also can also be used to give information about a crime committed, or to contact the police with a general enquiry. For an emergency 999 or 112 will work anywhere in the world.
Medical, use this for illnesses and minor injuries where life isn’t threatened, but you would like some advice on what to do next, call 111

Some advice when using mobile phones - 1. If possible use a landline, it can be more easily traced too get the response quickly to you. 2. If calling from a motorway use the roadside phones, they are never more than a mile apart and roadside markers point to the nearest one. 3. 999/112 calls are free and can also be made from a locked phone. 4. Even if you have no signal, emergency calls are routed to the nearest network with a signal.

Read 2821 times
More in this category: Boroughs & Neighbourhoods »


Keep in touch